SUMMER SHAKESPEARE INTENSIVE: JULY 1 – 29, 2018
CALLING ALL ACTORS, DESIGNERS, STAGE MANAGERS and DRAMATURGES
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DISCOUNT – 20% OFF ALL PAYMENTS MADE BY DECEMBER 15th 2017
July 1-29, 2018. Prague Czech Republic. CLASSIC TRAINING in a CLASSIC CITY. Join the master teachers and continental Europe’s premiere English-language classical theatre: Prague Shakespeare Company for four weeks of transformational classical theater training and mentorship, while immersing yourself in one of the most picturesque and culturally rich cities in old Europe. This Summer Shakespeare Intensive will culminate in performances of five Shakespeare plays featured as part of Prague Shakespeare Company’s 2018 Season especially created for participants, performed in the heart of Prague.
The 2018 SSI productions feature a special Shakespeare and Italy theme with productions of Julius Caesar, The Merchant of Venice, Two Gentlemen of Verona and Much Ado About Nothing in addition to The Death of Kings adapted and directed by Irwin Appel. SSI productions in past years have included Richard III at Prague Castle (see event photo of SSI students Josette Nordman and Caroline Chu pictured left) in addition to Love’s Labor’s Lost at Divadlo Kolowrat and Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Richard II and The Death of Kings at Divadlo Na Pradle. In addition to performing in fully produced PSC productions, SSI students also attend professional Czech productions with the Summer Shakespeare Festival at Prague Castle and the National Theatre of the Czech Republic.
SSI ELECTIVES – CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE AND AREAS OF FOCUS
SSI students customize their training and maximize time with particular instructors by selecting ELECTIVES based on their own personal areas of interest. Planned 2018 SSI Electives include (among others TBA):
- Advanced and Beginning Acting Shakespeare – two options
- First Folio Shakespeare
- Shakespeare for English as a second language speakers
- Original Practices
- Advanced and Beginning Voice – two options
- Stage Combat – including rapier, broadsword, archery, historic firearms and more
- Shakespeare Audition Workshop
- Shakespeare’s Rhetoric
- Dramaturgy for Shakespeare
- Reviewing Shakespeare
- Music and Shakespeare
- Scenic Design for Shakespeare
- Costume Design for Shakespeare
- Stage Management
- Shakespeare’s Contemporaries
- Shakespeare Staged Readings – including performance opportunity!
- Karaoke Shakespeare – including performance opportunity!
Classes are Monday through Friday from 10am to 4pm with Fridays reserved for one-on-one tutorials and Master Classes. Master Classes with leading members of US, UK and European stages are held every week. Rehearsals for the PSC 2018 Season production are Monday through Friday from 6:30pm-10pm. All weekends are off (except the last two) so you can enjoy Prague and the Czech Republic!
- BUILD your understanding and mastery of playing Shakespeare’s great poetry on stage, through performance of some of the greatest Shakespearean characters and scenes
- DEEPEN your range, strength and personal connection to your voice through the detailed voice, text and speech work
- STUDY with Czech fight masters and stunt experts – working hand to hand and armed combat
- EXPAND your physical acting vocabulary through explorations of Puppetry, Mask, Clown and other European Physical Theatre traditions
- STRENGTHEN your resume with a professional Prague Shakespeare Company 2017 Season credit
- ENJOY theater, opera, dance and music events throughout the city (tickets provided at optional charge)
- VISIT the great historical Prague sights including Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, Charles Bridge, Alchemy Museum, and the Astronomical Clock of old town square
- GAIN valuable professional advice from one-on-one PSC actor-mentors
- PLAY in one of the most dynamic night-life cultures in the world
THE SSI 2018 INSTRUCTORS*
Professional Master Teachers from around the World, including among others:
- Guy Roberts, Artistic Director, Prague Shakespeare Company
- Paul Prescott, Associate Director, Global Shakespeare; Author & professor, University of Warwick
- Linda Gates, Head of Voice, Northwestern University
- Nancy Bishop, Casting Director CSA, over forty films including Casino Royale, Narnia, Mission Impossible
- Irwin Appel, Director BFA Actor Training, UC Santa Barbara; Actor, Director, Composer/Sound Designer, graduate of The Juilliard School
- Rupesh Tillu, Master Clown & Clowns Without Borders
- Petr Nůsek, Master Fight Director, ARGO
- Gregory Gudgeon, Shakespeare’s Globe & Royal Shakespeare Company
- Andrea Miltnerová, Baroque Dance Specialist, National Theatre of the Czech Republic
- Kiara Pipino, Master Teacher & Artistic Director – Festival Internazionale Valle Christi
- Julie Fishell, 20 year member of Playmaker’s Rep (actor & director); theatre professor – UNC Chapel Hill; graduate of The Juilliard School
- Jim Johnson, Dialect Specialist – University of Houston
- Carolyn Johnson, Actor, Vocal Coach & Dialect Specialist
- Katherine Steele Brokaw, Actor, Director; Author & amp; professor – University of California, Merced
- Jeffrey Mills, Actor, Movement Specialist, Fight Director; theatre professor – DePaul University
*additional WORLD-CLASS instructors announced in January 2018
HOW TO APPLY
Serious Training for Serious Students
Email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Picture and Resume
- Letter of Recommendation from University level theater instructor or professional mentor
- 150 word personal statement
Audition in person or via video submission. One two-minute Shakespeare monologue required. Accepted Students will be notified no later than one month after submission about decision.
Great Training and Great Travel for a Great Price
- Tuition – $2,960 / 64500CZK
- Room & Board – $2,490 / 54000CZK (single room accommodation in flat share with other participants and daily lunch and dinner provided on all workshop days). Students may elect to share a bedroom with another participant (same sex only) for a cost reduction of $500 / 10900CZK off the total Room & Board fee due. Students may elect to have a private studio flat (apartment) for an additional fee of $750 / 16500CZK and to upgrade the meal plan to have daily lunch and dinner for the entire month-long Summer Shakespeare Intensive (including all days off) for an additional fee of $400 / 8800CZK
- Optional Theatre Tickets – $270 / 6000CZK (6 performances from PSC, the National Theatre & other top Czech theatres)
- Optional Weekend Trip to Cesky Krumlov – $325 / 7200CZK (including transport, lodging, daily breakfast & dinner, Revolving Theatre tickets & tour of the world’s oldest operating Baroque theatre)
Non-refundable 50% Deposit Due on Acceptance. Balance due on May 18, 2018. No refunds will be granted after this date regardless of circumstances or participants inability to participate. Students are responsible for travel and other meals. Students will be met at the airport, and assisted in local travel.
ENROLL ONLINE NOW
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DISCOUNT – DEDUCT 20% OFF ALL PAYMENTS MADE BY DECEMBER 15th 2017
Pay for your 2018 Summer Shakespeare Intensive now online using your credit card!!!
2018 SSI Enrollment Order (Note all payments must be in CZK)
Click Box to accept the following Options:
Financial Assistance: Prague Shakespeare Company, a not-for-profit organization, is committed to developing the finest generation of up and coming classic artists. Two (2) major scholarships will be awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional talent at their audition and require financial assistance. In addition to our highly competitive major scholarships, up to four (4) smaller awards are available to those individuals not chosen for major funding. Students wishing to be considered for financial assistance must submit a personal statement of no more than 500 words detailing need. Decisions on financial aid will be made no later than one month after the request is received and are final.
To APPLY TODAY contact us at email@example.com